Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fond memories ...

I was tooling around on Etsy this evening and I found this neat poster from Roll & Tumble Press.


It brought back fond memories of my weeks in Arkansas every summer visiting my grandpa. He lived in a small town in southern Arkansas, Camden. There wasn't a lot to do, so we were usually tasked with entertaining ourselves.

My grandpa had an old brownie camera that was stuck up in the top cabinet in the kitchen. Every summer when we would go visit I would get it down and "take pictures". When I found it one day when helping my mom hunt down some sort of pot or pan, I wished that there would be a half used roll in there that I would find and we could get developed. It didn't but I still thought it was the coolest. Luckily before my grandpa pasted away I brought it home with me. It's one of the few things I have of his but I treasure it so much. (The image to the right is the same camera that I have now.)

I have never been much of a photographer - I have this innate ability to take the worst, unfocused pictures. BUT I love photographs, especially old ones. I love the story behind them and the people in them many of which I never got to meet. I have a bunch of old photographs on my family and some of S's. Having a connection to the past is very important to me.

No comments: